SNA-Mitchell chapter executive board for 2015-2016:
Left to right: Hannah Spates, Breanna Blom, Katie Sanderson, Chelsea Kulm, Vanessa Spaans and Emily Sudbeck
|| Katie Sanderson
|| Chelsea Kulm
|| Breanna Blom
| Co-Project Chairs
|| Hannah Spates and Emily Sudbeck
| Newsletter Correspondent
|| Vanessa Spaans
|| Megan Hullinger and Carena Jarding
2014-2015 SNA Activities
September 2014 –DWU Homecoming: nursing students decorated a float for the parade, “Rise of the Roaring Empire.” Students donated bags of candy, rode on the float or walked in the parade and tossed candy.
- “Trunk or Treat” at the Mitchell Middle School: nursing students donated candy for Halloween, filled the trunk of a student’s car with the candy, offering a safe place for young children to trick or treat.
- DWU fall blood drive: nine first-year nursing students volunteered to help in the snack and set up areas.
- Avera Queen of Peace Hospital flu clinic: six second-year nursing students assisted in giving flu shots.
- Community (POD) flu shot clinic at the Corn Palace: 14 second-year nursing students assisted in giving flu shots.
- SNA nursing jacket fundraiser held.
November 2014 –American Cancer Society’s “Grocers Fight Cancer” community service project at County Fair Food Store: 1st year nursing students helped with blood pressure screenings.
February 2015 – DWU nursing students hosted the Nursing Student Association of South Dakota state convention at the Sherman Center. DWU had two candidates for the outstanding nursing student of South Dakota, Lindsay Fredrickson (Mitchell) and Hilary Ryan (Huron); Lindsay Fredrickson was named the outstanding nursing student of South Dakota. Two Mitchell first-year nursing students, Chelsea Kulm and Jessica Neises, were elected to the NSASD state executive board for 2015-2016.
March 2015 –Love Feast, First United Methodist Church: nursing students participated in serving the meal and provided blood pressure screenings.
- Health Fair at Mitchell Christian School: nursing students helped with eye screenings and lab draws.
- DWU Service Day: several nursing students went to Wesley Acres and helped residents with cleaning projects; several other nursing students helped with taking residents from assisted living/long term care facilities to the circus.
July 2014 –DWU mission trip to Uganda, Africa: first-year nursing students, April Barnett and Hannah Spates participated in the mission trip.