Nursing Immunization Requirements
Medical Information Requirements for Incoming Nursing Students
(If you are presently taking classes on campus, check with
- Student Physical Form (All sections must be filled out).
- Personal Information and Medical History ? Sections I and II completed by student.
- Physical Examination ? Section III completed by a medical provider at time of examination.
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Incoming nursing students are required to complete the two-step procedure unless documentation of the results of a TB test completed during the previous 12 months is provided. If this documentation is provided, a one-step TB skin test will be sufficient. Example: If a TB skin test was completed in June of last year, a TB skin test must be completed by June 30 of this year. If the TB is done after June 30, a two-step test must be completed.
- Immunization Records – Provide a copy of immunization records or lab reports to document ONE of the following:
- Two MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccines; OR
- If there is only one documented MMR, the student needs to have a 2nd MMR vaccination; OR
- Documentation of titers (blood tests) indicating immunity to all three infections; OR
- Medical documentation of an allergic reaction that would prevent MMR vaccination
- If it has been two or more years since a tetanus booster was given, a Tdap injection (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) is required.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Immunity – ONE of the following is required:
- History of the disease can be noted in Section II Medical History on the Student Physical Form; OR
- Documentation of a Varicella titer (blood test) showing immunity; OR
- Documentation of two administered doses of Varicella vaccine
- Hepatitis B Series and Titer:
- First dose (provide copy of date given); the first dose is required before students can attend clinical.
- Second dose (provide copy of date given)
- Third dose (provide copy of date given)
- Hepatitis B titer is done a minimum of six weeks after the third dose is administered. The titer is needed to show immunity to Hepatitis B. If the titer is negative, the student is required to repeat the Hepatitis B 3-dose series and titer.
Influenza Vaccination – Due to requirements at healthcare facilities, ONE of the following is required by November 1:
- Written documentation of annual flu vaccination.
- Written documentation from a healthcare provider indicating flu vaccination cannot be administered.
- A student without documented annual flu vaccination is required to wear a mask during clinical rotations.
- Copy of the front and back of a major medical insurance card is required by DWU. Students who do not have private coverage, will need to purchase the insurance offered by DWU through Student Assurance Services at finalization.
- Copy of current CPR certification: CPR certification must be current throughout the nursing program. A copy of the student’s CPR card showing completion of the American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers CPR course is required. Any exceptions need to be approved by the director of programs and/or the administrative chair of the Arlene Gates Department of Nursing.
- If you are an LPN-RN nursing student you are required to provide:
- A copy of a current South Dakota LPN license.
- A copy of current Health Care Provider CPR certification.
If you have questions contact:
Jeanne Krome, Administrative Assistant, Department of Nursing, 605-995-2702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org