Nursing Immunization Requirements
Medical Information Requirements for Incoming Nursing Students
(If you are presently taking classes on campus, check with
- Mandatory Health Forms
LPN-RN Students: Complete Form A, Student Health Form, and Form B, Physical Evaluation
BSN Students: Complete Form B, Physical Evaluation
Form A: Student Health Form
Form B: Physical Evaluation
- Tuberculin (TB) Skin Test: Incoming nursing students are required to complete the two-step procedure unless documentation of the results of a TB test completed during the previous 12 months is provided. If this documentation is provided, a one-step TB skin test will be sufficient. Example: If a TB skin test was completed in June of last year, a TB skin test must be completed by June 30 of this year. If the TB is done after June 30, a two-step test must be completed.
- Immunization Records – Provide a copy of immunization records or lab reports to document ONE of the following:
- Two MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) vaccines; OR
- If there is only one documented MMR, the student needs to have a 2nd MMR vaccination; OR
- Documentation of titers (blood tests) indicating immunity to all three infections; OR
- Medical documentation of an allergic reaction that would prevent MMR vaccination
- Tdap injection (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) – Provide documentation showing a Tdap injection if it
has been two (2) or more years since a tetanus booster was given.
- Varicella (Chickenpox) Immunity – ONE of the following is required:
- History of the disease can be noted in Section II Medical History on the Student Physical Form; OR
- Documentation of a Varicella titer (blood test) showing immunity; OR
- Documentation of two administered doses of Varicella vaccine
- Hepatitis B Series (Student must have at least 1 dose before student can attend clinical.)
3 dose series and positive titer required; provide documentation of each dose and titer results
If the student did not complete a titer after 3 doses OR titer was negative after 3 doses:
- See healthcare provider for booster dose and complete titer 4-6 weeks after booster dose. If titer is positive, student has met requirement.
- If titer is negative after booster dose, student is to complete another 2 doses and re-titer 4-6 weeks after last dose is received. Student will have met requirement after remainder of doses and re-titering.
Influenza Vaccination – Due to requirements at healthcare facilities, ONE of the following is required by November 1:
- Written documentation of annual flu vaccination.
- Written documentation from a healthcare provider indicating flu vaccination cannot be administered.
- A student without documented annual flu vaccination is required to wear a mask during clinical rotations.
- Copy of the front and back of a major medical insurance card is required by DWU.
Students who do not have private insurance coverage will be required to purchase insurance. Consultation with an insurance agent prior to July 1st is necessary to ensure enrollment and coverage before the start of classes.
- Copy of current CPR certification: CPR certification must be current throughout the nursing program. A copy of the student’s CPR card showing completion of the American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers CPR course is required. Any exceptions need to be approved by the director of programs and/or the administrative chair of the Arlene Gates Department of Nursing.
- LPN-RN Nursing Program students are required to provide:
- A copy of current South Dakota LPN license.
If you have questions contact:
Jeanne Krome, Administrative Assistant, Department of Nursing, 605-995-2702 or email email@example.com