Biology Faculty Position
Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in Biology at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The person holding this position will serve as a member of the University’s Donna Starr Christen College of Healthcare, Fitness, and Science. The person will be responsible for teaching courses and laboratories in genetics and cell and molecular biology. Other teaching responsibilities will be contingent on the candidate’s training and expertise, but could include microbiology or introductory biology for majors. All Dakota Wesleyan University undergraduates are required to complete a Capstone project prior to graduation. Correspondingly, successful candidates will be committed to mentoring undergraduate research. Start date is mid-August 2018. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a Ph.D. in biology.
- Be prepared to teach courses (and laboratories) in genetics and in cell and molecular biology.
- Have a strong commitment to maintaining a research program that provides significant opportunities for undergraduates to develop research skills and abilities.
- Have demonstrable, successful experience as a teacher at the college level (or demonstrable promise thereof).
- Be comfortable with, or willing to learn, the use of digital technologies to enhance student learning and engagement.
- Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to active, experiential, and project-based learning and research.
Essential, ongoing responsibilities associated with the position include:
- Successful teaching and facilitation of student learning.
- Successfully mentoring and advising students.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues, within the department, the college, and across the university.
- Providing service to the department, college, discipline, university, and community.
- Engaging in ongoing professional development and remaining current in one’s discipline and areas of specialization.
- Engaging in curriculum development.
- Engaging in ongoing assessment activities.
- Community outreach and the development of relationships with members of the local and regional communities (as appropriate).
- Acting in a professional and collegial manner (this includes: maintaining a regular and ongoing presence on campus, maintaining confidentiality as required, holding regular office hours, participating in recruitment and retention efforts, participating in various academic ceremonies, and being accessible to students and colleagues).
- Participating in ongoing evaluations.
- Assuming other duties and responsibilities as assigned and/or negotiated.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and creative pedagogical practice. All applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a one-to-two page statement regarding proposed program of research, and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of four professional references. Original transcripts and background check will be required before the university makes an appointment.
Please submit materials electronically via email to Ms. Janet Hayen, Director of Human Resources, Dakota Wesleyan University at email@example.com. Please write Biology in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.