Welcome, international students!
If you are an international student who has completed secondary school, you are invited to apply to DWU as either a first-time student or a transfer student.
Our deadlines for applying are June 15 for fall admission and October 15 for spring admission.
If you are an international student, you should be aware that, unfortunately, our online programs will not be available to you due to the limitations of F-1 Visa regulations. This includes all of our graduate programs.
Step-by-step to be enroll at DWU as an international student:
Step 1 – Apply Online
Step 2 – Complimentary Admission Requirements
- Official academic records from all secondary schools and postsecondary education are required
- International student-athletes must have transcripts evaluated by InCRED and choose the course-by-course evaluation
2. English Proficiency Test
- International students from countries that do not acknowledge English as a national language are required to submit proof of English proficiency. DWU accepts the following:
- Duolingo – Minimum Score: 100
- TOEFL – Minimum Score: 71
- IELTS – Minimum Score: 6
- International transfer students are not required to submit an English Proficiency Test score if a US university has been attended for longer than one-year
3. SAT/ACT scores (optional)
Step 4 – Apply for F-1 Visa
1. Pay I-901 SEVIS fee of $350
2. Consult the instructions at the US embassy website on your country
3. Complete the Form DS-160 and print the barcode page (learn more)
4. Schedule a visa interview appointment. Visit the U.S. Embassy website where you will be interviewed for country-specific instructions.
5. Pay the Visa application fee of $160. Review country-specific instructions.
6. Gather all necessary documents according to the embassy of your country. Commonly required documents include:
- Bank statements
- DS-160 form
- Confirmation of SEVIS fee payment
- Receipt of visa application fee
- Acceptance Letter
Sioux Falls Regional Airport – 1h10min drive from campus
- Omaha Eppley Airfield – 3h30min drive from campus
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport – 4h50min drive from campus
Sioux Falls is the airport we recommend. Besides being closer to campus, people from DWU can pick you up upon your arrival. For other airports, you might have to use a bus service to get to Mitchell, SD.
Resources for Finding cheap flights
- Google Flights
These are tools that our international students recommend when researching for cheaper flights. There are functions like comparing prices by company, date and airport automatically for you.
Greyhound Bus, Jefferson Lines
- Sioux Falls to Mitchell: $24 - $28
- Omaha to Mitchell: $70 - $78
- Minneapolis to Mitchell: $84 - $94
What to pack?
For traveling purposes, including going through immigration, it is important that you include the following items on your carry-on / personal bag:
- Boarding passes
- Passport (Current and containing your F1 visa)
- Financial Documentation (Bank letter/statement)
- Letter of acceptance from Dakota Wesleyan.
Also, you can bring items that might be necessary or that you might use for leisure on your carry on, for example:
- Electronics (laptop, tablet, kindle, earphones),
- A Pen
- A change of clothes
- Hygiene objects
Keep in mind that any liquids, creams, aerosols, and pastes must be packed in a transparent traveling container, with at most 100 milliliters. Make sure you check this information with your traveling company.
Items to purchase in the USA
Some of your items might take too much space/weight. It might be worth buying it once you are in the USA. Our suggestions include:
- Bed Sheets
- Hygiene products (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc.)
As soon as you arrive in Mitchell, you can take a trip to a store and purchase those items.
It is important to note that the power outlets in the USA are not the same as some countries in the rest of the world. It is important to check if the type of plug your devices have will be compatible with the USA model. If not, you can buy an adaptor or a new charger/power output.
Click here to learn more about the community.
If you have questions or wish for additional information, please call us at 800-333-8506 or contact us online using this form.