Veterans’ Benefits

How to Apply for Veterans' Benefits

Before applying for veterans' benefits the student should complete the following steps:

  1. Be admitted to Dakota Wesleyan University.
  2. Have all transcripts from previous schools sent to the admissions and registrar's offices. 
  3. Declare your major degree of study with the registrar's office.
  4. Contact your Educational Services Officer (ESO) within your military service prior to registration. 
  5. Be registered for classes in the semester you wish to receive benefits.


Veterans' Online Application

The Veterans Online Application website is an official U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website that enables service members, veterans and their beneficiaries, and other designated individuals to apply for benefits using the Internet.

Required Documentation

  • DD214 - This must be certified by the county clerk's office in the county you are residing. 
  • Dates and locations of military training. 
  • 22-1990 - Application for educational benefits. 
  • Notice of Basic Eligibility - only needed from National Guard members.

Enrollment Certification

Those veterans who have Chapter 30 or 1606 benefits need to complete enrollment certification each month. This can be accomplished on the web or by phone. It is the student's responsibility to complete the enrollment certification.

US Department of Veterans Affairs
Telephone: 1 (888) 442-4551

DWU Contact Information

University VA Benefit Representative 
Theresa Kriese
(605) 995-2621

Registrar's Office
Molly Manchester
Phone: (605) 995-2821

Business Office
Kerri Fahey
Phone: (605) 995-2159

Additional Information

Maximize GI Bill Benefits

GI Bill Transfer Guidebook

Financial Aid tips and advice for Families of Servicemembers

Scholarships for Veterans

Veterans Guide to Paying for College