Parent & Guardian Notification Policy

Notification Policy

At Dakota Wesleyan University, we know that parents and guardians play a crucial role in the continuing development and education of their college students, and we hope to partner with you.

However, we also recognize that students have specific rights and expectations in terms of their privacy. In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the university has established the following guidelines for notifying parents or legal guardians when we’re concerned for the health and welfare of the student, including situations involving medical transportation and treatment, as well as serious or repeated violations of alcohol or drug policies.

Notification Guidelines

I. The director of student life or designee has the authority to determine when and by what means to notify parents or legal guardians without a student’s consent when a student under the age of 21 is found to have violated any law of the university rule or policy related to the possession, use, sale or distribution of alcohol or illicit drugs.

II. Nothing in these guidelines shall prevent university officials from notifying parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 21 about health or safety emergencies, including situations requiring medical transport and treatment, regardless of the disciplinary status of the student. When the university intends to contact a student’s parents or legal guardian, it will first attempt to notify the student of its intent.

III. The director of student life or designee reserves the right to notify a parent or legal guardian without a student’s consent under the following circumstances:

a)    The violation involved harm or threat of harm to the student, other persons or campus property;

b)    The violation involved an arrest in which the student was taken into custody by the police;

c)    The violation resulted in or is likely to result in the student being suspended or expelled from university-operated housing, the university or both;

d)    The student has shown a pattern of behavior or violations that indicate a potential physical or psychological problem;

e)    The student who committed the violation required medical attention as a result of the consumption of alcohol and/or illicit drugs.

How Can We Help You?

All of us at DWU welcome you and your daughter or son as the newest members of the DWU family. We anticipate everything will go smoothly, but we also know you may want to contact us with questions, concerns, and maybe even complaints. We welcome your calls, letters and emails—it shows you’re an involved parent.

Emergency Contacts

In case of an emergency, contact the DWU campus switchboard at 605-995-2600. They will immediately work with the student life department to locate and contact your son or daughter.

Other emergency phone numbers include:

Mitchell Police: 605-995-8400

Davison County Sheriff’s Office: 605-995-8630

Avera Queen of Peace Hospital Emergency Room: 605-995-2276


Questions or Concerns?

Contact us online or give us a call on campus at 800-333-8506.