Why Christian Leadership?
This is an exciting new program which is focused on training leaders for the church who are fired up to change the world for Christ. We will train you in biblical studies, questions of faith and reason, and the big ideas of the Christian worldview. We will do our best to give you fantastic missions experiences while you are here. We also offer study trips to Israel to learn about the Bible on the very stage of history where these great events occurred.
This program is unique in other ways. We will train you to think like an entrepreneur. Who wants to do ministry the way it has always been done? The world needs Christian leaders who are also grounded in scriptures, tradition and reason yet can think like an entrepreneur. That is our goal: to ground you and to release you to do new things for God.
Another fantastic thing about this program is that it is flexible. We have five basic areas of emphasis (children, youth, missions, church planting and biblical/theological studies) from which you can choose. But let's say you want to be a church camp director. We can design a program just for you. Let's say you want to be a worship leader in your church. We can do that. Let's say you want to be a church administrator. We can do that. Each program will have 30 hours in scripture/theology/reason, 9 hours in entrepreneurial thinking, and nine hours in your area of specialty.
Make no doubt about this: there are jobs to be had out there in these areas. We regularly see job postings for full-time church children's ministry coordinators, full time youth pastors, etc. If you want to be involved in church leadership, there could hardly be a more interesting and flexible program out there.
There are more than 50 clubs, teams and organizations on campus which are open to all, and multiple groups specifically for those who seek a Christian atmosphere.
- Weekly campus-wide worship
- Fusion: a United Methodist Church service held on campus every Sunday
- Bible study groups
- Koinonia – weekly dinner/meeting of the minds at the campus pastor’s house
- Universities Fighting World Hunger
- Mission trips – past locations have included work in the United States and international locations such as Mexico, Peru and Tanzania.
Watch a video now to learn why some DWU students chose Christian Leadership!
Why choose a major in Christian leadership?
For more information, contact:
- Unique – Coursework is designed for each student’s particular emphasis.
- Entrepreneurial – This program offers distinctive training in entrepreneurial leadership within the ministry setting.
- Marketable – There is a market for graduates of the Christian leadership program – in youth ministry, church administration, worship arts, church camping and church based counseling.
- Small Groups – All students with a Christian leadership major or minor will participate in a discipleship/accountability group of three or four individuals. Small-group discipleship was critical to the early success of the Methodist movement, and it continues to play a central role in the development of Christian disciples. In addition to this robust curriculum, Dakota Wesleyan has a long-standing commitment to its spiritual heritage through cocurricular activities. For more information, click here.
Department of Religion and Philosophy Chairman