Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a tenure-track full-time faculty position in psychology at the anticipated rank of either Assistant or Associate Professor. The person hired will be responsible for teaching a variety of psychology courses; advising psychology students; and will serve as a member of the university’s college of business, education, and social science. Experience teaching, or the ability to teach, some, or all, of the following courses is desirable: abnormal psychology, general psychology, developmental psychology, theory and practice of counseling, and psychology of personality. Start date is August 15, 2024. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Priority will be given to applications submitted on or before January 31, 2024.
Psychology faculty are encouraged to be active in the profession and engaged in clinical practice when possible. The new hire will be responsible for providing expertise and support for students seeking a graduate degree in counseling. Psychology faculty collaborate with other departments to provide support courses for students pursuing degrees in education, criminal justice, and healthcare. Psychology faculty also regularly teach in the general education program.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a doctoral degree (PhD or PsyD) with a specialization in counseling or clinical psychology from an APA-accredited program and/or a master’s degree with equivalent experience.
- Have taught successfully, preferably at the college level, or have comparable clinical practice experience that promises to translate effectively into the teaching environment.
- Be enthusiastic about approaching teaching and learning in innovative ways that generate interest in the discipline and strengthen student engagement.
- Be comfortable with, or willing to learn, the use of digital technologies to enhance student engagement and learning.
- Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to active, project-based/applied learning.
- Have the ability to create assignments and learning experiences that are directly relevant to the professional work environment.
- Be committed to mentoring students, including serving as an academic advisor.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and creative pedagogical practice. All applications must include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae (or resume), and the names and contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses) of four professional references. Original transcripts and a background check will be required before the university makes an appointment.
Please submit materials electronically via email to email@example.com. Please write Psychology in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
To learn more about Dakota Wesleyan University, please visit: https://www.dwu.edu/about-dwu.
Dakota Wesleyan reserves the right to modify all job postings and job descriptions.
Dakota Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer and provider.