About DWU

Office of Disability Services

This office ensures that students with disabilities have equal access and full participation in postsecondary education as outlined by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.  

What We Do

  • Coordinate academic support services. 
  • Advocate for students with disabilities. 
  • Promote student development and self-advocacy. 
  • Serve as a resource on disability awareness and accommodations. 

How do I Request Services?

Contact the DWU Disability Services Coordinator to assist with the completion of the following steps: 

  1. Self-identify as having a disability. 
  2. Complete the Disability Services Registration form or the Short-Term Disability Registration form.  
  3. Complete the Disabilities Services Release form.  
  4. Complete the Request for Accommodations form. 
  5. Submit letter(s) of accommodation. 


At DWU we understand that everyone learns differently, and we want to give everyone the opportunity to learn. This might mean a reasonable accommodation is in order.  

Common accommodations are, but are not limited to:  

  • Alternative Testing Areas 
  • Extended Testing Time 

If your academic success depends on a reasonable set of accommodations, we will work with you to find and implement a strategic solution. 

What is considered a disability?

We use the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as a guide to define disability: a condition that substantially limits a major life activity, such as walking, talking, learning, hearing and/or seeing. Services will be provided to students with physical, psychiatric, and/or learning disabilities, chronic health conditions, mobility, visual, speech and coordination impairments. 

If you have a temporary condition such as a broken arm, sprained ankle, etc., you are also eligible for short-term services as needed. 

What type of documentation is required?

Documentation of a disability is necessary to initiate and receive services through the Office of Disability Services. If you don’t have the proper documentation to support your requests for accommodation, you will need to get the documentation (test, diagnosis, etc.) at your own expense. 

High school juniors and seniors should know that elementary and high schools are required to retest students for disabilities every three years, and that when a student nears graduation, the school is required to develop a transition plan to help prepare the student for life after high school. 

If this applies to you, you should take advantage of this transition plan and get new testing if necessary. Other students may need a letter from a physician, psychologist or psychiatrist to document a specific physical or mental limitation.  


The Office of Disability Services is committed to ensuring that all information regarding a student is maintained as confidential as required by law. 

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 

“No otherwise qualified handicapped individual in the United States shall, solely by reason of handicap, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.” 



Please contact the Disability Services Coordinator for questions and assistance. 

Jodi Wilson, M.S.Ed.
Student Success Adviser | Office of Disability Services Coordinator

Phone: 605-995-2931
Email: Jodi.Wilson@dwu.edu