Health and Safety Precautions
DWU highly encourages all students, faculty, and staff to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.
The DWU Response Team and administrators will monitor the status of COVID-19 on campus as well as in the community of Mitchell. Updated guidance from the CDC, SD Department of Health and local health care partners will be used to make changes to these guidelines as the situation warrants.
DWU Quarantine/Isolation Guidelines
If you experience any COVID-19 symptoms:
- STAY HOME or in your dorm room
- Contact the DWU Response Team
- Contact professors, coach or your work supervisor
- If symptoms persist, a free PCR saliva test can be scheduled with campus health. Call (605) 995-2957 or email the DWU Response Team.
Positive COIVD test – Vaccinated or Unvaccinated
- 5 days of isolation – only leave isolation once symptoms (if any) have subsided. Report symptoms update daily to DWU Response Team for guidance.
- If fever/symptoms persist isolation will be extended by the DWU Response Team.
- 5 days of strict mask use after completion of 5-day isolation
Unvaccinated or outside of Booster recommendations who are named as a Direct Contact (someone who has been within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes at one time of a positive COVID case) of someone who tested positive for COVID
- 5 days of Quarantine followed by
- 5 days of strict Mask use after completion of 5-day quarantine
- If symptoms develop within 5 days of exposure to positive COVID case test on Day 5
COVID exposure for Fully Vaccinated** and with Booster shot who are a Direct Contact (someone who has been within 6 feet for more than 15 minutes at one time of a positive COVID case) to a person who tested positive for COVID
- Strict mask use for 10 days, monitor health, report new symptoms to the DWU Response Team for further guidance and testing.
**Fully vaccinated means 2 vaccinations of Moderna or Pfizer followed by a booster vaccination 6 months after the 2nd shot of Moderna or Pfizer, or 1 dose J&J followed by a booster vaccination 2 months after receiving the single J &J injection with choice of Moderna, Pfizer or J &J.
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Nasal or chest congestion
- Chest pain or shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
DWU provides quarantine/isolation housing, WIFI, and meal delivery to all students living in the dorm who test positive for COVID-19 or are a direct contact to a person who tested positive for COVID-19 and are unvaccinated.