Fund an Endowed Scholarship
Support Students with an Endowed Scholarship
Unlocking the Future
Endowed scholarships are established and named through an outright gift of $25,000 or more or can be funded over a five-year period. The original gift is permanently invested and 5% interest is awarded as a scholarship annually. While approaching the $25,000 level, interest earnings are added to the fund. Endowed scholarships can also be established or added to through an estate gift. The scholarship is awarded one year after the scholarship is fully funded.
Reasons to Establish a Scholarship
- Memorialize a loved one: Preserve your loved one’s name and memory through an endowed scholarship.
- Leave a legacy where you have a passion: Designate an endowed scholarship for a specific major or co-curricular activity.
- Honor someone who invested in you: Perhaps you had a favorite faculty member you’d like to honor or another person who impacted your life.
- Connect with a student: See firsthand the impact of your investment.
How to Establish a Scholarship
- Start by calling Institutional Advancement at 605-995-2603 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The staff will discuss the various options with you and how your goals and objectives best fit within the scholarship program.
- We will send you a form to complete and sign indicating the name and criteria of the scholarship.
- You make the scholarship gift.
- The scholarship is awarded.
- For endowed scholarships, an annual report is sent to you indicating the earnings and award amount of the scholarship. You will also receive a profile of the scholarship recipient(s).
Why Donor-Funded Scholarships are Necessary
- 16% are underrepresented groups (minorities)
- Average debt upon graduation: $28,000
Awarded in scholarships annually: $9.5 million
Donor-funded scholarships: $1.73 million
Needed to fill the gap: $7.77 million