…Not the kitchen sink
Packing for college is an exciting time, and we want to make sure you’re able to hit the ground running when you arrive at DWU with everything you’ll need to feel at home.
What to Wear
- Comfortable clothes and shoes (most students wear sweats or jeans to class)
- A few dressy outfits and shoes for more formal affairs (such as banquets)
- Workout clothes and shoes
- Heavy coat, boots, mittens, scarf, hat (we’ll be honest with you: it gets cold in Mitchell, and you’ll want to be prepared)
For Your Room
We’ve put together a catch-all list of items most students tend to find useful. However, please note that this list is not comprehensive, and it may help you to visit campus to get a look at a residence hall room before you begin buying supplies.
- Office supplies such as pens, highlighters, notebooks and Post-It notes
- Comforter, bedspread or blanket
- Bed linens for a twin extra-long bed
- Mattress pad
- Pictures of family and friends from home
- Clothes hangers
- Coffeemaker and mug
- Dishes, cups and silverware
- Poster putty or 3M tabs for hanging up decorations
- Plastic containers with tight lids for storing snacks, detergent, etc.
- Headphones or earbuds
- Cell phone and other chargers
- Power strip with surge protection
- Futon, small couch or other seating (optional)
- Desk lamp or bed lamp
- TV/DVD-Player (there is a common area TV if you don’t bring one)
- Small fan
- Air freshener
- Small refrigerator and/or microwave (you can discuss this with your roommate)
- Small shelving unit (optional)
- Paper towels
- Sewing kit, scissors and other tools
- Message board for your door
Keep in mind that you’ll be sharing your bathroom and laundry facilities with other students!
- Shower shoes
- Towels and washcloths
- Soap, shampoo and conditioner
- Shaving cream and razors
- Shower caddy
- Laundry basket or bag
- Laundry detergent
- Dryer sheets
- Roll of quarters
- Feminine hygiene products
- First-aid kit, including Band-Aids, aspirin, cold medicine, etc.
- Personal medications and necessary medical supplies
Other Good Things to Have
Think about your daily activities and hobbies and bring what you need with you.
- Access to money (i.e., bank account, bank card, credit card, etc.); your bank may or may not have a presence in Mitchell, S.D.
- A vehicle
- Renter's insurance (have your parents check their homeowner’s insurance to see if you are covered under their policy)
- Key ring or lanyard (we will issue you at least one key and one key fob)
- Sports or recreation equipment (ping pong is huge on campus!)
- Nonperishable snacks for your room (you can never have too many snacks!)
Do Not Bring
Please do not bring everything you own! Space is a luxury when you are sharing a room with someone else. Also, please note that the following items are prohibited:
- Halogen bulbs and halogen lamps
- Expensive jewelry or "priceless" items
- Toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates or skillets
- Air conditioners
- Extension cords
- Picture hangers that require nails
- Weapons of any kind (including guns, ammunition or hunting knives)
- Ironing boards (they take up a lot of valuable space)
Unsure of what to bring or what not to bring? Give us a call at 800-333-8506 or contact us online.