Title IX

Title IX 

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 states:

“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

The regulations regarding Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 can be found on the Department of Justice website.


Who is the Title IX Coordinator?

Tom Hoek, Title IX Coordinator and ADA/Section 504 Coordinator
Rollins Campus Center, R104
1200 W University
Mitchell, SD 57301

The Title IX Coordinator is charged with monitoring DWU’s compliance with federal, state and institutional policies that promote a non-discriminatory and harassment-free environment. This includes helping to maintain a safe and caring campus environment through prevention education and the investigation of complaints of gender-based discrimination and sexual misconduct.

Who do I contact?

If you are in immediate danger, call 911.

If you have been a victim of gender discrimination or harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking, it is helpful to reach out to someone that you know and trust. For information, assistance in accessing services, or to make a report, you may contact any one of the following people:

Tom Hoek, Title IX Coordinator and ADA/Section 504 Coordinator
Director of Student Life
1200 W University
Mitchell, SD 57301

Janet Hayen, Deputy Title IX Coordinator
Director of Human Resources
1200 W University
Mitchell, SD 57301

U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights

For information about frequently asked questions about sexual harassment, visit the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights website.

Emergency Assistance

Emergency Response

Mitchell Police Department – Call 911 or 605-995-8400

Health and Safety

Avera Queen of Peace Hospital – 605-995-2000


Dakota Counseling Institute – 605-996-9686

Confidential Resources and Reporting Options

All individuals are encouraged to make a prompt report to law enforcement and to the university.  An individual may seek confidential support and resources as designated below.  Confidential resources will not share information with the university nor will speaking with a confidential resource trigger action by the university under most circumstances.  We encourage all individuals to make a prompt report to the university using the reporting options below, but we recognize that individuals may choose to make a report of sexual harassment, misconduct or violence to any university employee.  With the exception of confidential resources, all other university community members, including student employees who have responsibility for student welfare, are trained to share the report with a Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinator of the university to ensure prompt and equitable review, investigation and resolution.

Confidential Resources and Support

Students and Employees

Campus Counselor – 605-995-2896

Campus Minister – 605-995-2919

Campus Nurse – 605-995-2957

Avera Queen of Peace Hospital – 605-995-2000

Reporting Options

On Campus

Title IX Coordinator for Students – 605-995-2160

Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Employees – 605-995-2648

Off Campus

Campus Conduct Hotline – 866-943-5787

Mitchell Police Department – 605-995-8400

Quick Reference Guide

What to Do in the Event of Sexual Assault

The purpose of this page is to provide information and assistance to victims of sexual misconduct or those who may be helping a victim.  

Being forced into sexual activity, relationship violence or stalking, even if it is a date, a steady relationship or a casual acquaintance, is still sexual misconduct. Making decisions and regaining control are important to the healing process after an assault. There is no right way to prevent being sexually assaulted. You did all you could during the assault; you survived.

Remember, you are not alone, and you are not to blame. Sexual misconduct can happen to anyone, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. In the event of sexual misconduct, DWU can offer interim protection measures and assistance to help individuals feel safe and move on with their life.

What is sexual misconduct?

Sexual misconduct is a term used to describe a wide variety of unwanted behaviors related to gender ranging from harassment, stalking, relationship violence and exploitation, to sexual assault or rape.

What to do if you have been sexually assaulted


  • Get to a safe place. Call 911, the or the residence life on-call number at 605-770-1593 if you need help getting to safety.
  • Get medical attention as soon as possible. Medical examinations are essential to detect injuries, and for possible protection against diseases or pregnancy. Medical professionals can also help preserve evidence. Call Avera Queen of Peace Emergency Department at 605-995-2000, or during business hours, call the campus nurse at 605-995-2957.
  • Seek support. The Mitchell Area Safehouse has a hotline, 605-996-4440, or 888-996-8909.  You can also see the DWU campus counselor during business hours at 605-995-2896 or Dakota Counseling Institute at 605-996-9686.
  • Sexual Assault Response Team. The SART encourages survivors to report the incident as soon as possible. SART’s first concern is that you are cared for both physically and emotionally. An Officer will conduct a brief interview and initiate the SART protocol. The Mitchell Area Safehouse will provide an advocate, specially trained to work with sexual assault survivors, who can accompany you to medial visits and explain the steps in the investigation. AT ALL TIMES, your privacy is maintained unless you agree otherwise. 

Sometimes victims of sexual assault will remain quiet for weeks, months or years before coming forward with an assault. If you are a victim who has been silent, seeking out support from someone you can trust and feel comfortable with is important. DWU encourages victims of sexual assault to talk to somebody in order to get the support they need.

How to report sexual assault

Law Enforcement

Please be advised that criminal processes are independent of Dakota Wesleyan University.


Mitchell Police Department

Davison County Sheriff’s Office

Responsible Employees at DWU

Many employees (faculty members, administrators, residence assistants and directors, coaches, advisors) are able to offer emotional support to victims and help direct them to appropriate resources. Responsible employees, upon receiving notice of sexual misconduct, are required by law to notify the Title IX Coordinator the details of sexual misconduct.

Title IX Coordinator at DWU

Victims of sexual misconduct may file a report directly with the Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator is available to offer ongoing support to victims of sexual assault in understanding DWU’s investigative and/or disciplinary processes or the criminal process as the victim chooses.

The Title IX Coordinator has the duty to redress sexual violence and remedy the effects on the victim and the College community. The Coordinator will make every effort to maintain confidentiality, but may be required to investigate the incident.

Contact John Kippes at 605-995-2160 or John.Kippes@dwu.edu.

Confidential Employees

DWU has employees who are available to offer victims of sexual assault support and guidance in a completely confidential environment. Individuals may choose this option if they want to talk about the incident but do not want any further action to be taken. Confidential employees can provide individuals with both immediate and long-term help. They will listen, and help access additional assistance and explain options for obtaining additional support.

  • Campus counselor: appointments are scheduled by calling 605-995-2896 or 605-995-2656. Office is in lower level of Rollins Campus Center.
  • Campus nurse: drop in during business hours or call 605-995-2957 or 605-995-2656. Office is in lower level of Rollins Campus Center.
  • Campus pastors: drop in or call 605-995-2919. Office is on main level of Rollins Campus Center.

In addition to the confidential resources provided by the university, individuals may speak with off-campus crisis counselors, domestic violence resources, private agencies, and off-campus members of the clergy, each of whom will maintain confidentiality, except in extreme cases that involve a minor.

How do you help a friend?

A person who has been assaulted needs an empathetic listener who is nonjudgmental. Remain calm, and let the victim do the talking. Encourage the victim to seek medical attention and counseling.

Remember, it is the victim’s choice how and who to tell about the assault. Be clear and upfront about your ability to maintain confidentiality and reporting obligations. Listen without interrupting.

  • Don’t panic. Remain calm and concerned.
  • Respect the language the victim uses to identify what has happened.
  • Allow them to express their feelings.
  • Believe and support the victim.
  • Acknowledge discomfort and courage.
  • Remind the victim that they are not at fault.
  • Allow them to make their own decisions.
  • Provide resources and options.