You Will Never Feel Younger
Explore Special Education
As you grow into your teaching education, you will work with your professors to further develop your passion for teaching elementary students.
What's the Difference?
- Attend classes, meetings and labs within a preK-5 elementary school located right on our campus.
- Learn from DWU’s amazing professors; our low student-to-teacher ratio provides valuable one-on-one time with your mentors.
- Complete more than 300 hours of classroom experience.
- Design your unique one-semester student teaching capstone.
- 100% of DWU education graduates are working as teachers or attending graduate school.
Elementary Education Courses
You will take a wide array of courses providing you with both the fundamentals of classroom teaching and the specific knowledge needed within your chosen specialty. Elementary Education students takes classes like:
SPD 470 Student Teaching in Special Education
MTH 150 Mathematics for the Elementary Teacher
EDU 465 Classroom Management for the K-12 Educator
EDU 252 Music, Movement and Art
EDU 224 Children's Literature
EDU 382 Evidence Based Reading (4-8)
EDU 380 Evidence Based Reading (K-3)
Get to Know Your Professors
Become a teacher and learn from our fabulous teachers! Our low student-to-teacher ratio offers valuable one-on-one interaction with professors.
Ashley Digmann, Ed.D.
Melissa Weber, Ed.D.
Mindy Childs, M.Ed.
Stephanie Gelderman, M.S.
Tressa Wede, M.Ed.
Campus Mail Box:
Year Started at DWU:
Area of Expertise:
What I Love Most About DWU:
You will complete more than 300 hours of classroom experience, so you’ll start your teaching career with confidence. Because our education department is attached to a local elementary school, you will engage in those classroom activities very early in your DWU education. Your one-semester student teaching experience will be the capstone of your time at DWU.